Monday, April 29, 2013

4H County Expo 2013

"Learn by doing" is the 4H slogan and that's exactly what we did this year! It had been a few years since any of my children had participated in our County's 4H Expo and so I felt that I was learning everything all over again. This was also my youngest child's first year. She had been a Cloverbud a few years ago so this was all pretty new to her. All she knew was the dreaded deed of giving a presentation! Fortunately, she was a little relieved when she found out that she could do this in front of her project class which only consists of 3 students (one being her sister) rather than the community club meeting.

Then, came Expo. My girls were both in the Crochet project, a division of the Handwork of Our Heritage. Grace made 2 sets of three headbands, one for silent auction and the other for live auction. Melody made a crocheted hat. It was actually the second hat that she had made as it took her awhile to learn how to make it AND because it is sooo hard to get her to sit still long enough to actually finish it. It was two days before Expo began that she restarted (for about the 5th time) her hat that was to be auctioned off. She was banished to the couch until she finished it. I never heard her talk so much in all her life!!! 

Preparing for and following through with Expo is quite a learning process and a lot of fun! I have made myself a checklist of what needs to be done and bought for next year - lest I forget by then. Here's a few items on the list
  • white long-sleeved button down shirt
  • green tie
  • black or blue skirt that's not faded
  • close toe shoes or boots
  • belt
  • buyer's letters
  • buyer's basket (to thank whoever buys the project)
  • gifts and "Thank You" card for the basket
  • educational display board
  • help with food during the week
I'm sure next year my list will grow as my girls are wanting to branch out and try doing some animal projects. 

Grace's Educational display board about the three different types of yarn fiber.

Melody's Educational display board showing the parts of a crochet hook and the differences the size of a hook impacts the yarn

Melody's finished hat

So much work goes into the children's projects. This is our friend getting his pig all spiffied up for showing

Many of the mom's in our club contribute meals to feed the exhibitors and their families. One of the families (also our friends) set up their wall tent with tables and chairs providing a nice shady place to eat.

Justus waiting his turn for showmanship



Some of the animals that are brought



This is "Patch", our neighbor's dog. 

Melody's hat won Best of Class and a blue ribbon

Grace's headbands won Grand Champion, Best of Class, Reserved Best of Class a blue ribbon and a concho (next picture below)







Melody loving the animals.


Grace helping to wash her friend's lamb


Grace says she wants to do lamb next year

Just before the auction in which the girls both did VERY well!
The auction began with the Pledge of Allegiance, the Star Spangled Banner sung by one of the girls in the club, The 4H Pledge, slogan, motto and creed. Our little friend here is a Cloverbud who helped to say the 4H Pledge:

I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
my heart to greater loyalty,
my hands to larger service, and
my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country and my world


Although Melody was scared and falling to pieces right before the auction, the minute she stepped into the ring, you would've thought she had done this for years as she was so calm and acted like a natural! I'm so proud of BOTH my girls!!!

There she goes in front of all those people

Grace never ceases to amaze me with her talent and bravery - overcoming all her fears

Showing her beautiful set of headbands 
Ready for auctioning her lamb

My girls were very appreciative for Wesley's help in finding their buyer. With all the commotion and nerves, the children aren't always able to see who last won the bid on their project.





Melody holding her buyer's basket

My girl's project leader






























Keeping track of prices. I noticed a lot of people were doing this - 

No comments:

Post a Comment